6.10.13

Blogtober Day 6: A Leap of Faith in Change

October 6: Describe a distinct moment when your life took a turn.

This is one of those times I'm reminded of a phrase one of my favorite college professors uses: "Everything is relative."

A distinct moment my life took a turn can be several moments but the one I will talk about today is when I changed my major.

I know, I know. Lots of people change their majors but I like a plan, a end goal, and crossing the finish line -- preferably first. When I changed my major, the "plan" no longer existed. It was the first time that my career path/finish line became an unknown end. 

I entered college with the intent to be a high school English teacher. I had amazing teachers for English and Literature all throughout school; it was always my favorite class to attend. I wanted to share my love and passion for English and, hopefully, have students that would love it as much as I did. 

As part of the education curriculum  of my university students go out into the field, shadow a teacher and get hands-on training. As advised I took this opportunity to truly discover if I wanted to be a high school teacher. The teacher I followed was my high school English teacher -- I was so pumped! She created a seriously creative and "cool" lesson plan using modern day lyrics and songs as a modern example of American Spirituals. I would've loved this lesson. Her students reactions? Less than what I thought. Both the teacher and my hearts' were crushed. All that effort, for a silent classroom with very little participation and initiative. 

English majors ... So true!
via

I'm not saying this was the only reason I dropped the Education portion of my degree. I wanted something more...whatever more would mean. I love to teach and share knowledge but I discovered that I could easily do that without a degree. 

I graduated university in May with a B.A. in English with an emphasis in Creative Writing and a minor in Professional Writing and Rhetoric. I couldn't be happier. If I were to do it all again, I still would've turned down the path with no end. 

The end goal still is unknown for me. The finish line doesn't exist because I haven't established it. I'm still searching for what I want to "be." And while I search, I'm definitely enjoying the ride.



This applies to me: 27 Things Every Girl In Her 20s Should Have By Now

How has your life taken a turn? Any defining moments? Please share!

Yours xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...