14.10.13

Blogtober Day 13: A Fiction Story

October 13Creative writing day: write a (very short) fictional story that starts with this sentence: "To say I was dreading the dinner party would be the understatement of the century."
The story does not necessarily need to have a conclusion - you can leave your readers wishing for more!

To say I was dreading the dinner party would be the understatement of the century. I hadn’t seen these people for 10 years. All they wanted to do was judge me and my non-existent career path. See, I have been living in a one-bedroom apartment trying to earn my doctorate. I have dreads, tattoos and a serious craving for pickles all the time. This party is going to be the pain of my existence. But, I have to go. I’m never one to turn down an invitation to a dinner party because that would be impolite. The food can/will include those itty-bitty cucumber sandwiches which could be a pro. I’m 10 years too late to the happy couple picture on Facebook and the sharing of those simply adorable baby pictures of them wearing socks that look like sneakers. But, honest, I don’t feel bad about it.(Most of the time.) How does one have a conversation with an investment banker who is a father of 3??

Sigh. Here we go...


The perfectly manicured lawn surrounding the stone pathway leading to a large brown door, I reach for the obnoxious knocker. Is that a lion?? Yes, I may be cynical and cruel towards this dinner but, shit, you would be to if all these people were going to do the minute you walk in is have physical reactions, non-pleasant I might add, to your appearance and laugh when you say you earn a wage by working at a bookstore. The lawyers, bankers, doctors and this girl...hmm, could only end badly. *knock knock* “God, it even knocks judgy.”

Yours xx

Sometimes you just gotta write and see what comes out... (I'm such a creative writing NERD!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...