7.5.13

Every day in May... + What I Wore: Last week of School

There is a blog challenge for May started by the lovely Jenni, from Story of My Life, challenging bloggers to blog everyday in May. I would love to partake but, um, May's going to be a bit ridiculous for me (MAYbe I will complete all the prompts in July but with a Hemline twist, who knows) so I've decided that instead of doing the prompts everyday, each week I will complete the prompts in one post.

There are no rules for the prompts. They can be interpreted however the blogger feels. So, away we go...

Day 1: The Story of your life in 250 words or less.

I suck at describing myself or my life. So, I'm letting a poem I wrote in Creative Writing do it for me. We had 15 or so questions to answer about ourselves (parents, character traits, favorite word/celebrity/place/phrase), as well as brands we would endorse without being paid, a striking image, a question, annoyance, and something you wish you could have but can't due to unforeseen changes. Damn I miss Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper! I think I had it like everyday during junior high. Without further ado...Table for 1


A pregnant woman sits alone at the bar,
I wonder if she notices me, a bystander in her world.

Silly, fuse toed, daughter of Joe and Tami, once McVay,
lover of London, fan of Jennifer Lawrence, me.
Literally, living the dream & loving it.

I want to skip towards her in my TOMs, like her child will,
plop down on the stool next to her, and ask:
What came first: the bagel or the donut?

Instead, I slyly snap a picture with my phone, share it, tweeting:
“Pregnant woman at a bar—I wonder what she ordered? #water”

Gum-smacking, knuckle cracking Waitress startles me:
I lust for a Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper, but settle for a “Diet Coke, please.”

Day 2: Educate us on something you know a lot about or are good at. Take any approach you'd like (serious and educational or funny and sarcastic)

Something-Nothing Days

I would like to take this time to educate you all on how to do nothing for an entire day while still doing something. I have spent many a day, wrapped up in a blanket, reading or watching copious amounts of Netflix. I'd say I'm quite the expert. You will need a space that is private (ie bedroom, TV room, living room, etc) where you can spread about 3-5 pillows, creating a sort-of headboard to lean against. Keeping, at least one pillow to the right or left of you to place your computer (portable DVD player, what-have-you) to watch your television selections. I prefer computer do take the occasionally Facebook-Twitter-Pinterest break. Feel free, if not located in your bed, to take the comforter/duvet with you to your location. Comfort is very much important.

Now most would say snacks would be the next important item but I will argue that hydration is key. I like to begin my something-nothing days with a bit of tea, or coffee. Then proceed quickly to lemonade (summer/spring) or hot tea (fall/winter). But, pro-tip number one, always keep water near, especially in a container with a lid and straw. Nobody likes to attempt to drink water out of a bottle and, SPLAT, all over your shirt. Awful. (First world problem? Yeah, I think so). 

Show selection... this is the perfect time to go through that Netflix Instant Queue and starting watching one of the 19 shows you've placed in there. My recommendations vary from Classics (to me) Gilmore Girls (many a Christmas break spent with my favorite Girls); One Tree Hill (remember: there is only one); Gossip Girl (if you have a flair for the dramatic and fashionable); or if you are feeling particularly nerdy: Dr. Who. My current obsession: Mad Men (Don Draper...*swoon*). And books, c'mon now, you can't go wrong with any choice but Harry Potter (shocking...) always keep me comforted on these something-nothing days.

(I'm skipping Day 3: something that makes you uncomfortable)....

Day 4: Favorite quote

I've got two. Both are very self-explanatory as to why they are my favorite. My first is Dumbledore's speech to Harry in King's Cross during the final book. 

Help will always be given at Hogwarts, Harry, to those who ask for it. I've always prized myself on my ability to turn a phrase. Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it. But I would, in this case, amend my original statement to this: Help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who deserve it. Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and above all, all those who live without love.

And my second favorite is widely misquoted as being said by Nelson Mandela. It is a (paraphrased) poem by Marianne Williamson.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We were all meant to shine as children do. It is not just in some of us, its in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

Day 5: Publicly profess your love and devotion for one of your friends/family member.

I really hope that you, yes, you the one reading this, knows that you are loved. I want you to know that I love you. I think you are beautiful, and smart. You bring light into my world. You are cherished. You were born with the ability and purpose to change someone's world. So, I, Haley, publicly profess my love to you, my reader. 

Day 6: If you couldn't answer with your job, how would you answer the question: "What do you do?"

My goal in life is to inspire and to be inspired. So, that's what I do. 

Day 7: The thing you are most afraid of.

Failure. But aren't we all?

Annnnnd the Hemline twist? "What I Wore: Last week of School"


Oh the last week of actual class during my undergraduate career! What is one to wear! I wore my black skinny jeans from Sears, black tuxedo flats from Target, "leather" jacket also from Target, and a Mint knit sweater from JcPenney. My black bag in from Urban Outfitters and tree necklace from, you guessed it, Target.


I loved this outfit. It was perfectly spring sweater and by adding the jacket, I could wear it during the not-so-spring welcome. I can't wait to wear it more during the summer!!


Again this semester my university held the Jazz Swing Dance. I wore a dress from Karisma. It was on super-sale, like $10 I believe, which it just too good to pass up!! My shoes are from Herberger's about two years ago. They have gotten their wear. I love the colors of this look! And yes, I did dance the night away! Curious what I wore last semester?? Holiday Party + Jazz Swing Dance


Check out my graduation gift to myself?? Oh yea, a reusable Starbucks cup. Best. Purchase. Ever. This was my actual last day of college outfit. Scarf  was a gift but it is from The Buckle and my sunglasses are from Old Navy. 

Yours xx


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...