4.9.14

The Giver: A Review






It has been about 10 years, I was an 8th grader, since I have read The Giver. I vaguely remember loving it, and when I heard it was going to be a movie, I was pretty pumped.

I went to the film last week and I have to say, I really enjoyed it. Jeff Bridges was the perfect Giver. Cool uncle Jeff rocked it OUT! Meryl Streep was incredible and the actor, Brenton Thwaites, was a great Jonas. So, obviously, casting was outstanding.

The Giver (2014)The Giver (2014)























The visuals were stunning. I enjoyed that Jonas was getting the memory of color and emotion, the movie would change from black-and-white to color. It was a visual representation of the transition into Jonas' rebellion. I smiled when the memory of color The Giver gives to Jonas was that of a sunset on the ocean. I thought it was beautiful.

I do have a slight issue... When the action got "intense", the camera got a bouncing. It was too bouncy for my preference and could've shown the emotion/intensity without it.

The movie did an excellent job of portraying emotions with frequent flashes of memories, use of color, the concept of losing emotion all together. I left the theater believing in the necessity of feeling all emotions, and relieved that I could. A thought-provoking movie that I am glad I saw, no matter how hesitant I am of those book-movie movies.

Yours xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...