30.6.13

Blogger Book Club: "The Help"

Blogger Book Club June 2013-2014

Can I just say: I am absolutely ecstatic to take part in Blogger Book Club. I can't wait to share my love of books with a bunch of new blogger book nerds, like me!! And if you're new to the Hemline...WELCOME! *bear hug* I'm so glad you've stopped by!

I was a English Literature and Writing major in college but I've loved books for a long time before I got a degree in it. I was given the book "The Guernsey Literary and Potato-Peel Society" by my high school librarian. She wrote on the inside of it: I hope you never lose your love of books" and I can, honestly, say that I never have.

I figured that before you deep-dive into my discussion of The Help it might be useful to have a bit of background on what I think makes a book great. I look for books to have strong characters that seem to have real human characteristics and qualities, plus the ability to develop, and be complex enough, to evolve with the story. I also like a story to be well-rounded...you know, like at the end of the book you get that ah-ha satisfied moment? Yeah, I think that might be one of the best feelings, at least to me.

File:Thehelpbookcover.jpg

Okay, okay, enough about me... "The Help"

1. What is the book about?
The Help is about a group of women who's stories collide to create a book, in secret, about what it is really like to be a black maid in Jackson, Mississippi working for a white family...essentially. *Disclaimer: I've never been super great at answering "Oh, what's it about?" questions...

2. What were your initial thoughts on the book? Were you impressed? Disappointed?
The Help has been on my to-be-read pile since the summer of 2011. Mostly for the reason that I wanted to read the book before I saw the movie. I did end up seeing the movie at the beginning of the month to get all pumped up to read it. I was impressed by this book. Each chapter (though quite lengthy) were told from the perspective of a different character. Sometimes when author's do this, the story tends to have gaps but in reading The Help I never felt like that. The strong female characters captured the best and the worst of my emotions...ACK! That Miss Hilly!! I was cheering from my chair and crying with hope and satisfaction!

3. Favorite quotations from the book.
"Writing isn't that easy. And you wouldn't have time for this anyway, Aibleen, not with a full-time job." "Can't be much different than writing my prayers every night." (175).

"Half this stuff don't have nothing to do with colored rights. Ain't but day-to-day business." She eyes me up and down. "Look to me like you just writing life."
I stop my pencil. She's right. I realize that's just what I wanted to do. I tell her, "I hope so."  (195).
Constantine Jefferson -The Help
via
"There is so much you don't know about a person...We are just two people. Not that much separates us. Not nearly as much as I'd thought. But Lou Anne, she understood the point of the book before she ever read it. The one who was missing the point this time was me."  (492)

The Help// Nailed.
via
"You is kind," she say, "you is smart. You is important." (Oh that last chapter with Miss Mae Mobley! And yes, I did shout of with success when Mae Mobley said: "Miss Taylor.")

4. What did you like most about the book?
I liked the characters, most. The strong women, both the ones I rooted for and the others I wanted to have eat Minny's pie, made this story great. The commonalities and the differences drove the story but by the end, the character's hadn't necessary changed their ways, it was just that more of the allegiances came out.

5. Would you recommend this book to a friend?
Oh, but of course!!! (If you wanted to know...the book is, in fact, better than the movie in a different way but, still pretty good.)

The Help is Hemline Approved! Let me know what you've thought of The Help in the comments! Let's discuss!!

Check out the awesome Blogger Book Club hosts: My Name is MadelineTaylor from Confessions of a Busy Busy Bee, and Melissa at A Mile in her Boots! Thanks, ladies!!

Disclaimer: Everything mentioned above was purchased with my own money, pictures were taken with my camera (unless otherwise noted/credited) and all opinions are mine and in no way represent anyone or anything other than me, myself and I. This is NOT a sponsored blog post. You're beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...