28.5.13

What I'm Reading...


I don’t know how many times I’ve heard it or read it but this is yet another example of negativity follows negativity. This article discusses women/girls and ‘fat talk.’ I’m brought back to Mean Girls:

Karen: God. My hips are huge!
Gretchen: Oh please. I hate my calves.
Regina: At least you guys can wear halters. I've got man shoulders.
Cady: [voiceover] I used to think there was just fat and skinny. But apparently there's lots of things that can be wrong on your body.
Gretchen: My hairline is so weird.
Regina: My pores are huge.
Karen: My nail beds suck.
[pause. All look at Cady]
Cady: I have really bad breath in the morning.
Karen: Ew!


In those pesky fittings rooms it is so easy to fall into the ways that this article by focusing on the ways in which your body doesn’t fit the pants versus the pants “not getting you.” It was just disheartening to me that this happens. I know it happens; I’d be lying if I told you that I wasn’t victim to it or contributed to it. The studies go on to argue that women, when faced with images of skinny and fat women, expected the skinny women to have a more positive body image but that wasn’t true. Why, oh why, continuously put ourselves through the torture of focusing on what’s “wrong” with our bodies?


So what are we supposed to do? Do we all hate how we look? What we CAN do it to actively put a stop to negative self talk. Stop talking crap about yourself to yourself, people!!! The voice in your head must be positive. The next time you’re in the fitting room and things just aren’t going to swell, join me in reciting the new mantra: “This doesn’t get me.”

I just had to include one of my favorite bloggers, Gala Darling's, Self-Love Manifesto:



Read the article for the explanations. They are pretty genius.

1. The Internet is not going to save you.
2. Get outside.
3. If you want to sit, sit.
4. Stop sharing everything.
5. Don’t pay lip service to “following your dreams.” If you want something, work at it.
6. Stop trying to improve your “efficiency” and just work.
7. Work.
8. Don’t kill anybody.
9. Call your moms and pops.
10. Quit all the irony.


11. Stop writing/sharing about all the people you *expletive*.
12. Travel if you can afford it. Otherwise get the hell back to work.
13. Listen to punk music.
14. Listen to any music.
15. Don’t become an addict.
16. Stop overthinking.
17. Love hard.
18. Stop crediting Marilyn Monroe with 50,000 quotes she didn’t say.
19. Not everything is a battle.
20. Empathize.

Ohhhh and I'm participating in the Blogger Book Club being put on by some lovely ladies whose blogs I've been looooooving! Each month I will review/discuss a new book. Up first, The Help, which is perfect because I've been meaning to read this one for, um, a while... I can't wait to get started!! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...